Why should I become a member of TOS?
The above covers the intent and actions for which TOS was formed and you would become a part of our efforts to protect and enjoy these amazing and beautiful creatures. But in addition to joining with others who are of like mind you will receive other benefits as indicated below:
(1) Your membership entitles you to receive our annual magazine (in full color) with articles about birds and birding opportunities in our great state. Texas leads the nation in the number of species which have been observed-638 as of 2014. This is not a scientific journal as such, but you will also receive Bulletins which include peer reviewed articles of a scientific nature that we publish periodically. And our three annual newsletters that provide additional timely information about events taking place in which you can participate in as a member of TOS. These publications cost the organization about $20.00 per member to produce which are covered by your dues.
(2) Other benefits include discounts from these organizations:
• Texas A&M Press: 30% discount on books ordered by phone (800-826-8911), fax (800-617-2421) or on the web. This discount is only for books published by Texas A&M Press.
• Cornell’s Birds of North America (BNA): 20% discount. From their website - “the most comprehensive reference for the life histories of over 760 bird species that breed in the United States and Canada. Species accounts are written by ornithologists and other experts and are an essential reference for anyone with an advanced interest in birds.”
• The Princeton University Press: 30% off birding field guides, photographic guides, reference works, and products (illustrated birding checklists, calendars, and flash cards).
The discount codes, for use by current TOS members only, are listed in your membership welcome letter, or can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, TOS has available for free an app for the IPhone that features all the species on the Texas list, direct connection to our website and a map with all the birding hot spots in our state.
(3) Your membership also entitles you to free access to any of our sanctuaries. Currently we own two in the High Island region - Hooks & Crawford Woods - one near Beaumont - Sabine Woods -and another on the central coast at old Indianola - Magic Ridge. These are some of the hottest locations for passerines (perching birds) during migration.
(4) Finally you are eligible to participate in our two semi-annual meetings which are held in various parts of Texas in winter and spring. These events include daily field trips with knowledgeable trip leaders, educational programs in the afternoon and evening, and the opportunity to meet other people interested in birds from around our state. TOS also provides field trips to other regions of North America open to our membership such as Alaska, Minnesota, Colorado, Arizona and other areas. A new program called Weekenders has been added that feature meetings in various places around the state where those attending receive classroom instruction followed by field trips to implement the knowledge derived from those classes. Please consider joining our organization and supporting our efforts in conservation and education. The benefits more that cover the cost of membership. You can do so by printing the application and mailing it with your check to our TOS mail box or you can join and pay with Pay Pal by clicking on the button below this message. Thank you for your consideration of becoming a member. We hope to see you at the next TOS meeting.
|TOS Contact Information|
|Eric Carpenter||Secretary, Texas Bird Records Committee|
|Judy Kestner||Membership Services||361-701-1962|
|Jack Clinton Eitniear||Publications Editor||210-994-9171|
|James Giroux||Web Master||512-301-0373|
|Daniel Hodges||Vice President||512-525-1560|
|Committees & Chairs|
|Field Trip Committee||Jane Tillman||Austin|
|Sanctuary Committee||Byron Stone||Austin|
|Meeting Committee||Shelia Hargis||Austin|
|Publications Committee||Susan Foster||Rockport|
|Texas Bird Records Committee||Tony Frank||Houston|
|Awards Committee||Jack Eitniear||San Antonio|
|Shelia Hargis||Past President||512-294-0272|
|Membership Secretary||Judy Kestner||Corpus Christi|
|Online Registration||Laurie Foss||Spicewood|
|Publication Editor||Jack Eitniear||San Antonio|
|Web Master||James Giroux||Austin|
|TOS At-Large Directors|
|Frances Cerbins||Director At Large|
|Shelia Hargis||Director At Large||512-294-0272|
|Randy Pinkston||Director At Large||254-718-9910|
|Byron Stone||Director At Large||512-970-5154|
|TOS Regional Directors
Show Texas Regions
|John Berner||Director Region 1|
|Gailon Brehm||Director Region 2|
|Laura Wilson||Director Region 3|
East Texas Timberlands
|D. D. Currie||Director Region 4|
|Christine Turnbull||Director Region 5|
|Daniel Hodges||Director Region 6|
|Raul Delgado||Director Region 7|
Rio Grande Brushlands
|Kendra Kocab||Director Region 8|